Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Update on jobs and such

I finally started, I mean REALLY started, looking for those so called "real" jobs.
Well, sort of.
Today I mostly applied to unpaid internships.
These particular unpaid internships would be just fine because they would only require 10-15hrs a week. I could easily do that and work at TJ's just as often as I am now. I would actually enjoy have a bit more to do. Oddly enough, when I have a million things going on in my life, I find that I can get more things done more easily.
Well, the internships I applied for today are right up my alley, but I'm not sure I'm totally qualified for them. Apparently the whole Grant writing thing falls under Communications. Which is NOT my degree. In my cover letter, I basically explained that I am an English major with skills that would qualify me for this position...
Hopefully they read those instead of just dropping my resume because of a stupid qualification like what my degree was. :) But seriously. Grant writing is research and writing. Mostly. That is what I spent the last five years doing! And I love it. I'm good at it. And more importantly, I actually have a passion for making education better for children.

I applied at the Children's museum, which sounds super fun. And also at a Working families organization. Both organizations are centered around learning. It might not be formal classroom learning, but it is an important aspect to many kids lives. Not to mention it is a step in the right direction for me.

So, hopefully I will hear back from them soon. I will keep looking though. For internships and jobs.

Anyway. I have been reading this really good book lately, it's called Little, Big.
More about it later. I gotta go to work.

1 comment: